July is upon us and that means the patriotic bits in all of us come out in full force. If I got a dime for every time someone asked me what I was doing for the 4th, I’d be able to pay rent. As we all are planning barbecues, lake trips, picnics and the like, let us not forget to think of and thank the men and women who are fighting to insure our freedom and give us a reason to celebrate! For the month of July we will be holding a “Care Package” Drive for our adopted soldier, MSG Manuel Paulino and his unit. It’s our simple little way of saying Thank you by showing our soldiers that people back home are thinking of them and supporting them. If you’d like to help, the following items are most appreciated:
- Snacks that won’t melt or spoil: Sunflower seeds, gum, power bars, etc.
- Powdered drinks
- Non-aerosol toiletry items: Deodorant, baby powder, feminine hygiene, tooth paste…
- Handheld games, magazines, books, DVDs, music, or cards
- The ability to do laundry is in short supply so black socks, room freshener and even sheets are appreciated.
- There are some regulations about what can and can not be sent so before dropping any items off read this.
Thank You notes will be made available if you just want to write a few words of appreciation. You are welcomed and encouraged to bring your own letters, notes, or drawings.
Care packages are HUGE morale boosters to soldiers and the least we can do. Help us bring a smile to the men and women who sacrifice so much.
If you can’t be a part of our drive, consider adopting your own soldier and send items to them. It is free and anyone can do it. The only requirement is that you are willing to show some support to a soldier overseas.